The Queen Bee: Practical and natural beekeeping training
*We will announce our new practical training course dates for 2021 as soon as possible.*
Our practical and natural beekeeping training is based on the principles of Biodynamic Beekeeping.
In this course you will learn how to keep city bees in a way that is as natural as possible. We will focus entirely on the well-being of the bees instead of the honey profits. We will try to facilitate and give room to the natural tendencies of a bee colony like swarming, rather than to manipulate or suppress them.
The training runs from April to October and focuses on the colony’s yearly cycle to discover how we can support them the best at what times. This is done with 2 different types of natural hives: the top-bar-hive and the golden hive (also called Einraumbeute). We will not only look at the bees, but the whole hive – how the colony as a whole should be treated, and the direct environment the bees are confronted with.
In total there will be 13 meetings of two hours spread over the year in which natural city beekeeper Geert Van Kerckhove will show you how he keeps and accompanies his bees.
Geert will review just about all you need to know including:
- Approaching a bee colony
- Setting up your home, city garden, or other location for your hive
- Swarming, the natural birth and cycles of a bee colony
- Catching a bee swarm hanging from a tree or other object, and hiving that swarm in a beehive that has been prepared and placed for those bees [Note: this timing is nature-dependent so you will be called upon by text message to go catch a swarm with Geert]
- Learning more practical beekeeping from guest teacher Albert Muller, one of the most experienced and knowledgeable natural beekeepers in Europe
- Daily caring for bees, how to pay special attention to the natural behavior and needs of the bee colony, and how we can facilitate this wonderful super-organism
The meetings will take place on Thursdays from 18.30h to 20.30h.
The total costs for this 26-hour training spread over 2021 is; 390€ incl. VAT
There is a maximum of people for the practical course, not to overcrowd the bees and so that all the participants can gain enough practical experience. To make sure you can participate you send an email to email@example.com mentioning “Practical course 2019″ and we will let you know if we have places available and all the further details on how to subscribe.
We’re looking forward to seeing you in class and introducing you to the world of bees. We are confident it will be an enriching experience as it has inspired us and given us so much joy throughout the years.
Subscribe for this training by filling in the form below.
Note: we require you to have taken the Buzzing Bees: Introduction Course or have some experience as a conventional beekeeper to participate, as 12 out of 13 gatherings are practical and we need participants to have basic theoretical knowledge.